Friday, August 17, 2012

#myfavfriday - Homework Calendars


Sooooooo for this edition of #myfavfriday I'm kind of following up from my most recent Made 4 Math post and focusing again on my strategies for managing absent students and make-up work. I like to have a go-to place for students to find out what homework they may have missed while they were absent. I keep three (three because I have three different preps) monthly calendars posted in the front of the room (again RIGHT near the door, so the students have noooooo excuse for missing it!!) where each day I write down what the homework assignment was for each class. I also write whether there was some sort of assessment as well.

I have totally stolen this idea from my very own Geometry teacher from when I was in high school. I liked the idea so much back then, that I knew I would incorporate it into my own classroom once I had one. (Did I mention that I have known since I was 15 years old that I wanted to be a math teacher? I feel so lucky to have known at such a young age and with such certainty what I wanted as a career!).

I totally love, love, love this because when a student comes back from an absence (whether it is one day or a prolonged period of time) they already know where to look for the answer to their question "What did I miss?" or if they ask me what they missed while they were out all I have to do is direct them to the calendar. I also like it because the students have access to an entire month's worth of past assignments, again which is helpful for those students that are absent for prolonged periods of time.

I wish I had some pictures of this board to post, but I haven't been able to go into my classroom since last week. This week I have been working in a curriculum consortium to help districts align to CCSS. Fun fun fun!!



No comments:

Post a Comment