Monday, August 27, 2012

Made 4 Math - Whiteboards

I had been seeing a lot of talk and postings about making individual and/or group whiteboards and decided it was something I could use in my classroom. I went to Home Depot looking for the large sheets of whiteboard I had read about, but nobody there knew what I was talking about. Twitter to the rescue - I just tweeted a quick question about whether I should be looking at Home Depot or Lowe's and within minutes I had my answer (thanks to @approx_normal and @aanthonya) - and off to Lowe's I went.

Once I found the large sheets of whiteboard (32" x 48") the nice guy working there cut them into six 16" x 16" boards. I now had whiteboards my students could use for group work and it only cost me like $10!!


The edges of the boards were a little rough and @aanthonya suggested I cover them with duct tape. We had a discussion about how to do this since I had trouble with duct tape and corners on the last project I attempted (I do NOT like when things aren't perfect). 

I started with a piece of duct tape the same length as one of the sides and I wrapped it around the edge - half sticking to the front and half sticking to the back


Then I just repeated this for the other three sides.


Here is a close up of the corner where the duct tape is overlapping. So much better than trying to wrap a single piece around the corner - I tried this with a clipboard and it was just a horrible mess. 

Yay class set of groupwork whiteboards!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And thank you for sharing how to wrap the corners - that's one of the things I was struggling with :)

    ReplyDelete