Once I found the large sheets of whiteboard (32" x 48") the nice guy working there cut them into six 16" x 16" boards. I now had whiteboards my students could use for group work and it only cost me like $10!!
The edges of the boards were a little rough and @aanthonya suggested I cover them with duct tape. We had a discussion about how to do this since I had trouble with duct tape and corners on the last project I attempted (I do NOT like when things aren't perfect).
I started with a piece of duct tape the same length as one of the sides and I wrapped it around the edge - half sticking to the front and half sticking to the back
Then I just repeated this for the other three sides.
Here is a close up of the corner where the duct tape is overlapping. So much better than trying to wrap a single piece around the corner - I tried this with a clipboard and it was just a horrible mess.
Yay class set of groupwork whiteboards!!! :)